Добро пожаловать, Гость. Пожалуйста, войдите или зарегистрируйтесь.
Не получили письмо с кодом активации?

Автор Тема: Statement of purpose  (Прочитано 17777 раз)

Оффлайн Julie_S

Statement of purpose
« : февр. 15, 2012, 18:47 »
Здравствуйте!
Прочитайте, пожалуйста, Statement of purpose и покритикуйте)

Without any doubt physical researches are a key to solving the greatest problem of the mankind, namely, the problem of creation and existence of the world. And the smaller the spatial scale under investigation is, the closer we are to the unraveling of this sacred secret. That is why I am highly interested and strongly motivated in studying physics as a whole and in researches in the field of nuclear physics and physics of elementary particles in particular.
I was born in Smolensk, the city that is 400 km distant from Moscow. I was first introduced to physics during my last years in high school when in the 8th grade I entered an advanced class focused on mathematics and physics. The class taught me that almost each natural phenomenon can be explained and interpreted in terms of mathematical formulas. After my 10th grade I was so interested in studying physics that I decided to apply to Advanced Education and Science Center (AESC) Kolmogorov School at Moscow State University. I passed the preliminary examination successfully and entered a one-year advanced class focused on mathematics and physics. The year of intensive studying strengthened my ardor for physics and to enter the Physical Faculty at Moscow State University became my next goal. My success in annual competition «Lomonosov» in fields of mathematics and physics enabled me to enter Moscow State University without preliminary examinations.
During first three and a half years at MSU I took a range of general physical and mathematical courses and became even more convinced that physics is what I want to devote myself to. When in 2009 time came to choose my field of study, I realized that nuclear physics and physics of elementary particles were extremely intriguing for me. That is why I entered the Department of General Nuclear Physics and began my research work in the field of theoretical investigations of nuclear excitations.
Under the guidance of my adviser, Dr. XX, I worked on the problem of theoretical description of giant dipole resonances in open-shell nuclei. This problem is a formidable challenge to the nuclear theory. Although giant resonances were under intensive experimental and theoretical investigation during the last decades, there is still no satisfactory method of description of individual structures, fragmentations and widths of multipole excitations of open-shell nuclei. Our approach based on the advanced version of multiparticle shell model and on the connection between semi-direct reactions of nuclear excitation and direct pick-up reactions permits to get some progress in understanding of mechanisms of multipole resonances.
The first object of investigation was 48Ca. In July 2010 I took part in 60th International conference «Nucleus-2010» on problems of nuclear spectroscopy and structure of atomic nucleus in Saint-Petersburg and made a report on our theoretical calculation of dipole resonance and pigmy-resonance in 48Ca. The results of our investigation were published in the Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Then we switched our attention to the set of even-even titanium isotopes and concentrated on the microscopic description of individual structures, fragmentations and widths of dipole resonances in 46Ti, 48Ti and 50Ti. In October 2011 I presented the main results of our research at 61st International conference «Nucleus-2011» in Sarov. These results will be published in the Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences in 2012.
Besides, I participated in annual interuniversity meetings «Concentrated energy flows in cosmic technology, ecology and medicine» and annual scientific conference «Lomonosov’s readings». Participation in conferences and scientific meeting gave me a unique opportunity to communicate with scientists of different ages and different scientific interests and taught me that such interaction is extremely important.
In December 2011 I defended my thesis and graduated from MSU with honors. Six years at MSU have strongly increased my aspiration for investigation of physical phenomena. My research work on problem of nuclear resonances caused my interest in physics of intermediate energies and nucleon’s excitations. I have the strongest intention to start my research in these areas and I am confident that the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University YY is a perfect fit for me. I am especially excited about an opportunity to work with Professor ZZ.
I would regard my admission to the University YY as a great honor and responsibility, and would work hard to be among your top alumni. 
I am confident that researches in fields of nuclear physics and physics of intermediate energies provide us a unique opportunity to reveal sacred secrets of nature.

Оффлайн learner

• модератор
  • YaBB God
Re: Statement of purpose
« Ответ #1 : февр. 15, 2012, 19:04 »
Ужос. Сопли какие-то. Внимание терятся приблизительно на середине второго параграфа. С трудом понятно что вам не 15 лет и вы в универ поступаете, а у вас есть рассказать че по ресечу. Зачем все остальное???

Надо сильно упростить последних 6 парагафов - выкинуть все сопли. Текст перед ними создает очень странное впечатление.

Оффлайн DrX

• модератор
  • YaBB God
  • It's alright
« Ответ #2 : февр. 15, 2012, 20:30 »
Дикий кошмар. Вкратце:

- выкиньте лирику про то, как в школе Вас привлекали тайны природы. Четко изложите, что Вы делали, какие результаты получили, где доложили.

- не упоминайте всуе физику элементарных частиц. То, чем Вы занимались - это ядерная физика.

I am especially excited about an opportunity to work with Professor ZZ.
это хорошая фраза, но где объяснение Вашего эксайтмента?

- ну и надо, конечно, почистить английский, но это потом.

Оффлайн Julie_S

« Ответ #3 : февр. 16, 2012, 18:36 »
Возможно, так лучше?

I was born in Smolensk, the city that is 400 km distant from Moscow. I was first introduced to physics during my last years in high school when in the 8th grade I entered an advanced class focused on mathematics and physics. After my 10th grade I was so interested in studying physics that I decided to apply to Advanced Education and Science Center (AESC) Kolmogorov School at Moscow State University. I passed the preliminary examination successfully and entered a one-year advanced class focused on mathematics and physics. The year of intensive studying strengthened my aspiration for studying physics and to enter the Physical Faculty at MSU became my next goal. My success in annual competition «Lomonosov» in fields of mathematics and physics enabled me to enter MSU without preliminary examinations.

During first three and a half years at MSU I took a range of general physical and mathematical courses and became even more convinced that physics is what I want to devote myself to. When in 2009 time came to choose my field of study, I realized that nuclear physics and physics of elementary particles were extremely intriguing for me. That is why I entered the Department of General Nuclear Physics and began my research work in the field of theoretical investigations of nuclear excitations.

Under the guidance of my adviser, Dr. XX, I worked on the problem of theoretical description of giant dipole resonances in open-shell nuclei. This problem is a formidable challenge to the nuclear theory. Although giant resonances were under intensive experimental and theoretical investigation during the last decades, there is still no satisfactory method of description of individual structures, fragmentations and widths of multipole excitations of open-shell nuclei. Our approach based on the advanced version of multiparticle shell model and on the connection between semi-direct reactions of nuclear excitation and direct pickup reactions permits to get some progress in understanding of mechanisms of multipole resonances.

For the first time we obtained the cross-sections of photodisintegration of the 48Ca, 46Ti, 48Ti and 50Ti nuclei on the basis of the advanced version of multiparticle shell-model using the spectroscopy data on direct pickup reactions. The results of our theoretical calculation are in good agreement with experimental data.

I presented the main results of our work at 60th and 61st conferences «Nucleus-2010» and «Nucleus-2011» on problems of nuclear spectroscopy and structure of atomic nucleus in Saint-Petersburg and Sarov. These results were published in the Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Physics, 2011, Vol. 75, No. 11, pp. 1540–1543) and would be published in the Bulletin of RAS (Physics, 2012).

Besides, I participated in annual interuniversity meetings «Concentrated energy flows in cosmic technology, ecology and medicine» and annual scientific conference «Lomonosov’s readings». Participation in conferences and scientific meeting gave me a unique opportunity to communicate with scientists of different ages and different scientific interests.

In December 2011 I defended my thesis and graduated from MSU with honors. My research work on problem of nuclear resonances caused my interest in physics of intermediate energies and nucleon’s excitations. I have the strongest intention to start my research in these areas and I am confident that the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University YY is a perfect fit for me. I have contacted Professor ZZ and his willingness to work with me has further strengthened my decision to apply to graduate school at University YY.

I would regard my admission to the University YY as a great honor and responsibility, and would work hard to be among your top alumni. 

Оффлайн kilka

« Ответ #4 : февр. 16, 2012, 22:16 »
прочитала только первое предложение и сразу вопрос: кому интересно где вы родились и где находится Смоленск? Не засоряйте текст, он и так слишком длинный

Оффлайн fsm

« Ответ #5 : февр. 16, 2012, 23:05 »
Вы, Джули, молодец что продолжаете работать над текстом. 
Стиль вашего второго варианта называется автобиография.  Это все конечно интересно, но представьте себе того, кто получает ваше сообщение и еще 200-300 таких же. Ему все это не надо.  Напишите только то, что вы действительно хотите сказать о себе.
1) Я студентка в Самом Могучем Университете г. Урюпинск.
2) Я очень люблю ботанику и хочу сделать эту область своей профессией.
3) Поэтому я очень много работаю и у меня просто чудесные оценки
4) Мне жутко симпатичен ваш университет потому что в нем растет самая замечательная трава
5) Особенно мне интересна работа групп проф. Выбегалло и Андерсона на департаменте квантовой ботаники
6) Я полагаю, что с моими недюженными познаниями в квантовой ботанике и устремлением найти ботанический филосовский камень, я буду очень успешной студенткой в одной из этих групп.
7) А еще я умею вышивать крестиком,  и буду рада если смогу организовать кружок вышивания крестиком на вашем департаменте потому, что я считаю что вышивание крестиком очень помогает в написании пропозалов.
8) Я буду счастлива если вы уделите внимание моему аппликэйшн,  за сим раскланиваемся, Маша да не ваша. 

Оффлайн rabinovich

« Ответ #6 : февр. 17, 2012, 11:17 »
Вы, Джули, молодец что продолжаете работать над текстом. 
Стиль вашего второго варианта называется автобиография.  Это все конечно интересно, но представьте себе того, кто получает ваше сообщение и еще 200-300 таких же. Ему все это не надо.  Напишите только то, что вы действительно хотите сказать о себе.
1) Я студентка в Самом Могучем Университете г. Урюпинск.
2) Я очень люблю ботанику и хочу сделать эту область своей профессией.
3) Поэтому я очень много работаю и у меня просто чудесные оценки
4) Мне жутко симпатичен ваш университет потому что в нем растет самая замечательная трава
5) Особенно мне интересна работа групп проф. Выбегалло и Андерсона на департаменте квантовой ботаники
6) Я полагаю, что с моими недюженными познаниями в квантовой ботанике и устремлением найти ботанический филосовский камень, я буду очень успешной студенткой в одной из этих групп.
7) А еще я умею вышивать крестиком,  и буду рада если смогу организовать кружок вышивания крестиком на вашем департаменте потому, что я считаю что вышивание крестиком очень помогает в написании пропозалов.
8) Я буду счастлива если вы уделите внимание моему аппликэйшн,  за сим раскланиваемся, Маша да не ваша.

забавно написано. Такой текст хотя бы прочитают.  А потом подумают: "А может и вправду взять?"
Словом, Julie_S, надо все сильно сократить до нескольких предложений. Остальное можно убрать в CV.

Мне приходят подобные длиннющие депеши от индийских студентов. Читать я это не могу.

Оффлайн learner

• модератор
  • YaBB God
« Ответ #7 : февр. 17, 2012, 12:36 »
Уже стало сильно лучше!
А теперь подумайте: предтсавьте что рассказываете это своему коллеге. Вы тоже весь это бред про смоленск писать будете? Это никому не интересно. Вам бы было проятно если бы ваш коллега вам такое писал? Почему вы думаете что нам это приятно читать?

Вы на программу аппликаетесь? Соотвественно от вас нужны хорошие оценки + интерс к предмету (выраженный в том что вы можете связать не больше параграфа по делу). Можете написать абстракт своего ресеча в универе в 100-150 слов? ("Делали то-то и то-то показали то-то и то-то") и все вот это по фсм-пунктам. Никакого Смоленска, пожалуйста!

Оффлайн Julie_S

« Ответ #8 : февр. 18, 2012, 15:24 »
Все дело в том, что Университет предлагает написать нечто объемом не более 3 страниц, представляющее собой смесь автобиографии и описания истории интереса к физике, и включить туда следующие пункты:

-When did you become interested in this field and what have you learned about it (and about yourself) that has further stimulated your interest and reinforced your conviction that you are well suited to this field? What insights have you gained?
-How have you learned about this field - through classes, readings, seminars, work or other experiences, or conversations with people already in the field?
-If you have worked a lot during your college years, what have you learned (leadership or managerial skills, for example), and how has that work contributed to your growth?
-What are your career goals?
-Are there any gaps or discrepancies in your academic record that you would like to explain? Examples might include mediocre LSAT or GRE scores or low grades in your early years of college.
-Have you overcome any unusual obstacles in your life? Examples might include economic hardships, personal or family problems, or a disability.
-Why might you be a stronger candidate for graduate school - and more successful and effective in the profession or field - than other applicants?
-What are the most compelling reasons you can provide for your application to be considered by the admissions committee?

В этом причина моей многословности и параграфа про смоленск)

Оффлайн fsm

« Ответ #9 : февр. 19, 2012, 02:38 »
Вначале, я хотел сказать, что это просто какой то бюрократ вопросы сочинял и потому как на них отвечать - все равно потому, что руководство читать этот бред скорее всего не будет.

Но после вот этой вот фразы, у меня брови поползли вверх:
-Have you overcome any unusual obstacles in your life? Examples might include economic hardships, personal or family problems, or a disability.
Если я такой вопрос задам студенту да еще официально об этом напишу, то меня ждут ОЧЕНЬ нехорошие разборки.  А почему, я думаю народ знает.

Оффлайн learner

• модератор
  • YaBB God
« Ответ #10 : февр. 19, 2012, 07:25 »
оно действительно очень странное предложение. А не скажете, куда вы аппликаетесь? У меня единственно предположение что это какое-то ПТУ и они понимают что к ним будет аппликаться народ с "тройками" вот они и предлагают написать типа "вы видите у меня в дипломе одни тройки. Это потому что у меня умерла бабушка перед первыми экзаменами, я заболел экземой перед вторыми. Но вообше я очень много работал в кафе чтобы заработать на обучение и ето тоже обясняет мои тройки на третьем году". Другого обяснения я не вижу.

Оффлайн Julie_S

« Ответ #11 : февр. 19, 2012, 07:58 »
Университет штата это

Оффлайн learner

• модератор
  • YaBB God
« Ответ #12 : февр. 19, 2012, 15:25 »
а они дают ПхД финансирование? чем дурнее универ тем меньше шансов

Оффлайн DrX

• модератор
  • YaBB God
  • It's alright
« Ответ #13 : февр. 19, 2012, 15:28 »
так это совершенно не тот statement of purpose, который обычно пишут для поступления в аспирантуру. Это стандартное эссе для поступления в университет на андеград. Может, в данном случае сделали универсальные правила для всех. Я думаю, что читать его никто не будет и на поступление оно не влияет.

Если я такой вопрос задам студенту да еще официально об этом напишу, то меня ждут ОЧЕНЬ нехорошие разборки.

да, спрашивать нельзя, но многие университеты рекомендуют упомянуть дизабилити в эссе типа чтобы подчеркнуть волю к учебе:
Цитата: notre-dame
Should I provide information about my disability in my application?

Deciding whether to disclose a disability is a personal decision. The University can’t ask if you have a disability during the application process. However, some students feel that how they have successfully handled the challenges of their disability reveals the uniqueness and strength of their personality and choose to write about it in their application essay.
http://disabilityservices.nd.edu/accommodations-services/frequently-asked-questions/

Оффлайн DrX

• модератор
  • YaBB God
  • It's alright
« Ответ #14 : февр. 19, 2012, 15:29 »
а они дают ПхД финансирование? чем дурнее универ тем меньше шансов
PhD in nuclear physics без финансирования не бывает. Это вам не экономика  :P